Sequim Ecstatic Dance is a collaborative effort by people wanting to bring free-form conscious movement to the Sequim and the surrounding area. Join our community to dance freely with expression and connect with others in a consent-based culture.
New Location: Olympic Theatre Arts Center 414 N Sequim Ave, Sequim, WA
- Saturday, December 2nd – DJ Mark Schwartz
- Saturday, December 16 – Carrie Adams
Time: 9 – 10:30 am
Donation: $5 – 20 Sliding Scale
Please read the guidelines below before attending an event.
For the most current events on the Olympic Peninsula, check out the Olympic Peninsula Ecstatic Dance Facebook group.
- Dance Barefoot – no shoes allowed on the dance floor unless you have a physical condition that requires you to wear shoes. Shoes must be soft soled and used for indoors only.
- Wear comfortable clothes and layers – all must wear a top for gender equity; wear layers especially in winter if the windows need to be open.
- Be clear-minded – no alcohol or drugs.
- Refrain from talking in the dance area – to allow for a movement meditation experience; may talk quietly to obtain consent.
- Be SCENT-FREE – No fragrances, essential oils or other scented products as these can bother some people. *Note: Essential oils are at times used at Blue Mountain Yoga+. We will be opening up the windows and have air purifiers running to help air out the space.
- Turn off your cell phone – no camera or videos allowed.
- Be mindful of your surroundings when dancing.
Please use the following guidelines to help create a consent-based culture:
- Respect the Solo Dancer’s Right to their own Space
- Continuously Listen for the “Yes” (they turn toward, are coming closer, extend an open palm).
- Respect any “No” (ignoring you, turning away)
- When uncertain, quietly ask a person for consent.
- Hands in prayer at heart means: “I see you and thank you” (for the dance that just ended or doesn’t want to begin
What is Ecstatic Dance?
- An experiential journey of music & movement for exercise, stress release, celebration of life, and community connection
- A practice of movement meditation, where “every body” dances however they are inspired, in whatever ways feel great, like nobody is watching
- Freeform dance jam to a varied mix of organic and electronic beats in warm, playful, inclusive community
- Where dancing solo or with others are equally welcome
- A space free of shoes, booze, conversation, photography, and unwanted attention—where everyone feels safe and supported to go deep in their own personal experience
- Where we dance to express, not to impress
-WE ARE A SCENT FREE ZONE-
To create a safe and accessible environment, please don’t wear perfume and any products that contain fragrance the day of the event. This also includes essential oils.
Examples of scented products may include: lotions, deodorants, hair gel, hair spray, laundry detergent, dryer sheets and more. Smokers also must be free of any smoke on their clothes or in their hair.
Unscented products like lotion and deodorant are available onsite for free or donation. Some fitness clothes are available onsite to borrow.
About the Music
In Ecstatic Dance, music is used to move out of our heads and into our bodies, hearts, and spirits. Most music experiences will include a variety of musical genres, sonic wave of all tempos, and a full spectrum of emotions. At some dances you will find the vibe to be more organic and tribal, and at others more electronic, futuristic, or urban. No set is ever the same!
Want to know more?